From: James Le Cuirot <chewi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Is there any way I can help with pull requests?
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2018 12:59:58
1 On Sat, 13 Oct 2018 13:28:02 +0200
2 Ralph Seichter <gentoo@××××××××.de> wrote:
3
4 > Looking at the number of open pull requests (some of them my own), I
5 > wonder if Gentoo has become a bit of a victim of its own success as far
6 > as contributions are concerned.
7
8 I've said as much, at least with regards to the addition of GitHub. The
9 problem is that maintainers are not supposed to just blindly merge
10 contributions but they often lack the time to test them. Such
11 contributions also frequently have issues as the authors have not done
12 the developer quizzes. We try to guide contributors through the
13 necessary changes but this can lead to fatigue on both sides.
14
15 > Is there any way I could help the Gentoo team? Any vacancies that need
16 > to be filled, or work that needs to be done?
17
18 Following what I said above, we need more actual bona fide developers
19 who have done the quizzes, understand the issues, can most important
20 can take responsibility for their own contributions.
21
22 There is the proxy maintainers project, where we can accept
23 contributions with a little less scrutiny, but I personally feel that
24 these contributors really should just become developers. It doesn't
25 matter if you're only interested in one or two packages, any help is
26 very welcome.
29 James Le Cuirot (chewi)
30 Gentoo Linux Developer