From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Is || ( Atom... ) broken?
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2014 11:14:45
1 On Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 6:14 AM, Greg Turner <gmt@×××××.us> wrote:
2 > WTF is up with it? Why does it love the first Atom so much more than the
3 > others?
4 >
5 > It could be such a useful feature, but, in practice, it just never seems to
6 > do what I want it to. Is it a bug?
7
8 Well, more like unspecified behavior. PMS just says that the PM has
9 to accept any package in the list. It is silent on the matter of
10 which one is to be preferred, or to what degree.
11
12 As we saw with upower portage will jump through quite a few hoops to
13 install the first dependency - it doesn't always figure out that
14 installing one of the others is easier. It is a bit hard to
15 algorithmically define "easier" - should portage favor fewer package
16 installs, fewer removals, fewer config file changes, avoiding changing
17 the init system (and what constitutes an init system), etc? Plus,
18 there are a lot of potential permutations to deal with.
19
20 You'd probably need to be more specific as to what is going on to get further.
21
22 I think most would agree that there is room for improvement here.
23
24 Rich