From: Toby Dickenson <tdickenson@××××××××××××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: Luke-Jr <luke-jr@g.o>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Cc: Jason Wever <weeve@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] License Checking
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 16:37:21
1 On Thursday 27 November 2003 16:19, Luke-Jr wrote:
2
3 > > Can we get some statistical data on this?
4 > Since Portage as it is right now doesn't pay any attention to licenses, its
5 > legality could be questioned (as with the games issue before?)
6
7 If you want a hand count, I do want to use non-free software, and I do want to
8 read every non-free license before installing something.
9
10 > > and if you choose to restrict
11 > > yourself to only free software or other licensing scheme, you can make
12 > > the necessary changes yourself. Otherwise you will have a ton of users
13 > > asking "why can't i emerge package foo?", or filing bugs because of this,
14 > > etc.
15 >
16 > If Portage displays a clear enough message, there shouldn't be a problem
17 > with this...
18
19 We could further reduce the effort needed by having a switch to portage to get
20 it to interactively prompt the user to accept any outstanding licenses, and
21 allow portage to update ACCEPT_LICENSES in the same way it updates the world
22 file.
25 Toby Dickenson
29 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list