From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Why no updates on delay of 2008.0 release
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 12:18:50
1 Chrissy Fullam wrote:
2 > Somebody else wrote:
3 >> ... I don't think there is any excuse not to update the published
4 >> release schedule,...
5
6 <snip>
7
8 > the update is simple: the untimely and quite unexpected surgical
9 > "complication" resulting in the death of my mother has set back a
10 > number of schedules,
11
12 Lesson: Ask nicely before going into attack mode. Don't assume the
13 worst. Consequently, avoid putting foot in mouth...
14
15 Try to remember that this is a volunteer-driven effort. If you want it
16 to stay vibrant we need to try to be nice to each other. There have
17 been many occasions where I've needed something from a gentoo dev - if
18 you ask nicely there is a good chance you'll get it, and if you
19 volunteer to help out in some way there is an even better chance.
20
21 I was just browsing the net today looking for some options for a
22 bootable linux CD that would turn a workstation into a dvdrip cluster
23 node. Sadly I ran into several projects that would be almost exactly
24 what I need, and most are dead for various reasons. Open source is
25 something that needs to be nurtured, and if we don't want to write code
26 the least we can do is offer a little help of some sort to somebody who
27 does.
28
29 No, that doesn't justify some of the more antisocial behavior some
30 developers dump on users, but I think that Gentoo has managed to put
31 some of that in the past (I've been impressed about how cordially some
32 devs have been getting along in recent months).
33
34 Sure, maybe some things could be improved. But, new blood is always
35 welcome, and there are signs of new life springing up (recent talk about
36 PMS progressing, innovations in the kde overlay, talk of openrc going
37 mainstream, activity on the -nfp front, etc). Not that it ever really
38 died in the first place, but I think that the future looks good for Gentoo.
39
40 Let's just try not to stamp out the enthusiasm before it spreads a
41 little more... :)
42 --
43 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list