From: Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] So now that we have --quiet-build as default, can we talk about a forced LC_MESSAGES=C again?
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2011 06:31:03
On Sat, 3 Dec 2011 22:14:16 -0800
Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:

> Can we just translate the error messages?
*I* sure can but it takes time and effort, and for ever developer who looks at this, the process is repeated unless bug wranglers or other handy users happen to provide the translation. Just think of looking into a large build log, checking that the "error:" should now be "Fehler:" or something in an altogether different script you can't even read, and then searching backwards through the log to find the first occurrence. Do the same for "No such file or directory", "undefined reference" and so on - the things that most commonly get translated. Or do you mean automate translation whenever something is attached to a bug report? I think we'd be doing things the wrong way round then, but feel free to donate the machine translation server farm to do it. Also, make sure the result uses the same (original) strings and that you don't get funny "google translate" surprises. jer