From: torbenh@×××.de
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New local use flag for arts: artswrappersuid
Date: Sat, 17 May 2003 19:47:30
1 On Sat, May 17, 2003 at 09:49:32PM +0300, Dan Armak wrote:
2 Content-Description: signed data
3 > Well, security isn't my home turf, so since everyone thinks a global flag is
4 > OK, I won't object :-) (Spider already replied to me privately suggesting the
5 > same thing, but then seemed to change his mind, or maybe I just misunderstood
6 > him. Anyhow, what do other people think, in particular our security people?.)
7 >
8 > Just that as I said to him, it would have to be on by default and
9 > defined as: "Turn off this flag to enable highly insecure default
10 > configurations for the sake of performance - for fully trusted environments
11 > only". That could even be a global "security" flag, not just "suid". But it's
12 > ok with me either way. Opinions?
13
14 i dont like the idea of a global suid flag.
15
16 an alternative would be to implement this feature with sudo and have a
17 sudo-update script which creates an autogenerated script in a
18 path which is scanned prior to /usr/bin...
19
20 i am not sure how this script will be unmerged, but it could be ok if
21 sudo-update added the script to /var/db/pkg/*/*/CONTENTS....
22
23 This seems a little safer to me... but much more hassle of course.
27 torben Hohn
28 http://galan.sourceforge.net -- The graphical Audio language