From: Michael Thompson <psionix@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] USE flag swiss army knife
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 21:19:29
1 I whipped up this script a while back for personal use, but didn't clean it up
2 enough for public consumption until now. My girlfriend has been bugging me
3 to do this, and I never heard from Bob Phan about whether or not he was going
4 to make a command-line version of his nice GUI USE generator (don't want to
5 step on anyone's toes), so here is a tool/flamebait for you to check out and
6 comment on:
7
8 usetookit is a bash script that provides several functions:
9 ushow - lists the contents of your USE variable
10 udesc - lists descriptions for one of more USE variables
11 uadd - add a USE flag (enabled or disabled) to your USE variable
12 urm - remove a USE flag from your USE variable
13 use-update - an etc-update-like utility that will interactively remove
14 depreciated USE flags, then interactively add new USE flags, based on
15 use.desc. It keeps a cache of the contents of use.desc so that it will not
16 keep bugging you every time you run it about new USE flags that you chose not
17 to put in your USE variable.
18
19 To use this tool, place it in root's path, then create symlinks to the
20 functions you want to use:
21 e.g.
22 # ln -s usetoolkit use-update
23 Run usetoolkit by itself to get help.
24
25 Please keep in mind that my bash skills are practically non-existant, but that
26 this tool works (for me at least) and doesn't have any bugs that I know of.
27 Nevertheless, back up your make.conf before trying this.
28
29 Yes, I know the code is ugly and horribly inefficient. Please let me know
30 what else you think about it.
31
32 -- Michael Thompson

usetoolkit application/x-shellscript