From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] emerge -C eselect-python disaster
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 00:16:48
1 Petteri Räty wrote:
2 > On 01/24/2010 08:20 PM, Ben de Groot wrote:
3 >
4 >> 2010/1/24 Petteri Räty <betelgeuse@g.o>:
5 >>
6 >>> On 01/24/2010 03:02 PM, Ben de Groot wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>>> You can't have functioning package management without the hard
9 >>>> dependencies it requires. So both portage and python should be in the
10 >>>> system set.
11 >>>>
12 >>> Why should we keep redundant information in the list?
13 >>>
14 >> How is that redundant?
15 >>
16 >> Cheers,
19 > The problem the original poster wanted to solve is having a warning when
20 > trying to unmerge something in "system". The best way here is to file a
21 > Portage enhancement request and not pollute the profile system set
22 > marking. The purpose of the packages file is to describe what needs to
23 > be installed for a minimal system to work so it doesn't make sense to
24 > pollute it with implementation details.
25 >
26 > Regards,
27 > Petteri
31 Since unmerging python results in a broken system, I'm not sure how this
32 "pollutes" anything. The system set is to maintain a working and
33 bootable system that can install packages and portage requires python to
34 work. What good is a Gentoo system without a working package manager?
35
36 Is there something that I am missing here? For me, system should
37 include the things needed for booting and for the package manager to
38 work. If it can't contain python then portage has a problem. As I
39 pointed out in another reply, portage won't let you unmerge itself but
40 it will let you unmerge a package that will render portage useless. If
41 I can unmerge python then portage should just go ahead and let me
42 unmerge portage itself too. At least it is easier to repair removing
43 portage.
44
45 Dale
46