From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] usr merge
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2016 06:42:03
1 On Sunday, April 10, 2016 10:04:42 AM James Le Cuirot wrote:
2 > On Sun, 10 Apr 2016 02:09:35 +0200
3 >
4 > "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
5 > > I actually write my own initramfs because neither dracut not
6 > > genkernel end up with a convenient boot system.
7 > >
8 > > I have 2 disks, both encrypted.
9 > > I prefer only to enter the decryption password once. Both Dracut and
10 > > Genkernel insist on asking for the password/key for every single disk.
11 >
12 > Dracut on RHEL actually handles this out of the box. Might be worth
13 > finding out how.
14
15 Might have even been fixed in a more recent version of Dracut.
16 I just have passed the point where I am interested in it enough to try it. The
17 initramfs I use gets embedded into the kernel and doesn't need any kernel
18 parameters to work.
19
20 It does what it needs to do with minimal work. The simplicity should also make
21 it faster than the scripts generated by either Dracut or genkernel. (As they
22 need to parse the kernel cmdline and try to figure out static details on the
23 fly)
26 Joost