From: Jeff Rose <rosejn@××××××××.EDU>
To: "Derek J. Belrose" <derek@×××××××××.com>
Cc: brd@××××××××××××××.edu, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GUI installer
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 08:49:44
1 Well, I'm glad to see that people are interested. After doing some
2 initial research I have some thoughts. First, we should decide on whether
3 we want to have a terminal or X based installer. Does anyone know how
4 well the generic vesa driver works for X? I personally have battled with
5 X so many times that I'm not sure I think its worth it for an installer.
6 (Although we could just use the RedHat stuff for autodetection etc. if we
7 want to go that direction.) Besides X we could use ncurses dialog
8 widgets or another terminal gui package. I was thinking it would be cool
9 to use somethine lighter than X like svgalib. I have no experience with
10 it and don't know how cross platform (or cross video card) it is, but it
11 could be a cool solution if a decent widget set is put on top of it. I'm
12 not sure if this would lead to more or less work than using X.
13 As for choosing stages, that should be a decision made by the user
14 at install time. We can very briefly explain how the system works and let
15 them do what they please. For the complete novice we can basically have
16 the "do everything for me" button. For the supreme hacker we can let them
17 have it all while still taking care of mundane details. (For example,
18 they could choose what file systems they want to use on what partitions,
19 but that would just be a selection dialog rather than having to type the
20 commands etc...) It might be nice if the installer can be exited at any
21 point so people have the ability to get things rolling quickly but then
22 tweak things out to their hearts content once its where they want it.
23 One of the major pains in the redhat like installers deals with
24 package selection. I think it is ridiculous to give people a list of a
25 thousand packages and tell them to pick. Especially since the package
26 documentation is horrible. Most people probably wouldn't know that its
27 important for them to have the e2fsprogs installed, for example. So, this
28 is the portion of the installer where I see the most room for innovation.
29 Especially since gentoo has such a unique package system, we should really
30 try to enable the user as much as possible, rather than just hucking a
31 bunch of packages into the mix. I'm still working on ideas, but we should
32 experiment with all kinds of stuff to get this stage really smoothed out.
33 This idea of processor detection makes me think that a whole lot
34 of detection could go on if we wanted it to. The thing is detection is
35 useless unless you can act on what you have detected. Changing some CPU
36 related compiler flags is one thing, but what about detecting network,
37 sound, video, raid, scsi, firewire, printers etc. This could all get very
38 tricky real fast. What about using RedHats kudzu?
39
40 Peace,
41 Jeff