From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] /bin and /sbin to /usr
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 21:06:34
1 On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 10:01 AM, "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." wrote:
2 > On 8/10/10 4:22 AM, Eray Aslan wrote:
3 >> 1. Is this OK or should we file bugs against binaries in {/bin,/sbin} linking
4 >> against libraries in /usr/lib? Fix is relatively easy in general (give
5 >> --libdir=/lib against the config script)
6 >
7 > I'd suggest a fix that is guaranteed to work: make portage refuse to
8 > install anything in /bin that depends on /usr (based on say ldd check).
9
10 not a chance. some of the reasons why this isnt realistic:
11 - ldd is not portable
12 - ldd *executes* things
13 - ldd cannot easily/sanely handle a mix of installed system paths and
14 temporary paths ($D)
15 - ldd will not work with cross-compiling
16 - ldd shows the entire dependency tree, not just the program in
17 question ... so one broken library can easily cause other packages to
18 be flagged
19 - even if ldd showed only direct dependencies, one broken library
20 package could break the packages that use it
21 - prevents historical compat links that are otherwise irrelevant
22 - the vast majority of the time, users dont give a sh*t, and this
23 doesnt affect them -- people who do a sep /usr mount from / are a
24 small fraction
25 -mike