From: Cliff Free <anaranjado@×××××××××.net>
To: "Derek J. Belrose" <derek@×××××××××.com>
Cc: bdharring@××××.edu, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GUI installer
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 13:53:39
1 That sounds good to me. I'm no P.M. either, but I'd be willing to help
2 with some grunt-work.(this is becoming an itch I want to scratch. :-D )
3
4 On Sun, 2003-04-13 at 05:47, Derek J. Belrose wrote:
5 > I'm all for doing it this way if everyone agrees. I think it would be a
6 > decent start, definitely.
7 >
8 > I'm gonna head to sleep...it's almost 6am here. But, I want to carry on
9 > a discussion with you about the cli portage viewer/manager. I have been
10 > thinking about this one a lot, and want to hear other people's ideas on
11 > it.
12 >
13 > I'm wondering if this will increase the threads on gentoo-dev enough to
14 > warrant something like an IRC channel to do more of a realtime chat thing.
15 >
16 > I'm pretty easy right now as i'm unemployed :) If anyone wants to offer
17 > suggestions on how to take this step by step, it would be pretty cool.
18 > Project management isn't my forte.
19 >
20 > I like python...so I, myself would suggest a decent python/ncurses
21 > layout for the cli viewer/manager. I'll start documenting my thoughts
22 > on this when the sun rises :)
23 >
24 > Alright,
25 > nite...
26 >
27 > Brian Harring wrote:
28 >
29 > >While I think an X based installer would be nice, I think we might benefit
30 > >from first doing up a cli based installer first... at the very least, we
31 > >would need a cli portage viewer/manager, which would be a nice package on
32 > >it's own...
33 > >
34 > >Something also I thought about (and have been playing with), is having
35 > >essentially a two stage process for the installer- basically everything prior
36 > >to the chroot, and then everything after. Why? Well, it would be nice to
37 > >have the first half of the installer handle all the fdisking, untarring, etc.
38 > >From there, it chroots, emerge syncs and emerge portages, then pulls down the
39 > >newest version of itself, and runs that.
40 > >
41 > >From there, if we wanted we could probably setup some simple equivalent of a
42 > >quicky binary x server/svgalib for a x based installer. Meanwhile, if we
43 > >have at least a basic cli installer setup, that would be immediately useful
44 > >for the cd's, and w/ an update capability, we could push a graphical
45 > >installer down to the user once we have it ready...
46 > >Thoughts?
47 > >~harring
48 > >bdharring@××××.edu
49 > >