From: Sam James <sam@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] making rust-bin ordered first in virtual/rust
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 17:13:57
1 > On 17 Jan 2022, at 23:24, Georgy Yakovlev <gyakovlev@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > I've been approached multiple times with that request, and a lot of
6 > time I see new users completely destroyed by rust build time and disk
7 > space requirements.
10 I'll out myself as being one of these people!
11
12 > WDYT about switching order of rusts in a virtual?
13 >
14 > RDEPEND="|| (
15 > ~dev-lang/rust-${PV}
16 > ~dev-lang/rust-bin-${PV}
17 > )"
20 > becomes
21 >
22 > RDEPEND="|| (
23 > ~dev-lang/rust-bin-${PV}
24 > ~dev-lang/rust-${PV}
25 > )"
28 > Existing installs should be unaffected ofc.
29 > But portage may prefer to depclean rust and not rust-bin if both are
30 > present.
31 > Users who wish to use source version at all times can just add it to
32 > world file.
33 >
34 > I see both positives and negatives of doing that, but would like to
35 > reach out to community first.
36
37 I'd like to do -bin first to be consistent with OpenJDK, IcedTea,
38 and to improve first-install experience.
39
40 Not that I'm advocating for removing source builds or anything
41 like that, but I dare say Rust is generally not something that people
42 can customise much anyway.
43
44 As Ionen has noted, we did already switch in desktop stages.
45
46 Best,
47 sam