From: Theo Chatzimichos <tampakrap@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Recruitment process is moving back to quizzes
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2012 10:12:45
1 On Saturday 14 of July 2012 10:32:04 Markos Chandras wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA512
4 >
5 > Dear Gentoo Community,
6 >
7 > If you are not a recruit, mentor, or wannabe mentor you may stop
8 > reading now.
9 >
10 > We (recruiters) decided to revert back to the quizzes for the
11 > recruitment process. The web application does not work as we expected.
12 > There are a few open bugs, nobody is working on improving this
13 > application and it's been quite a bit of pain to use it during the
14 > (long) recruitment process. We understand that quizzes is not an ideal
15 > way to "hire" people either, but they worked ok for all these years
16 > and it is the only alternative we have at the moment. Hopefully, we
17 > will manage to improve the web application on a future GSOC project.
18 >
19 > If you have already submitted your answers on the web application,
20 > that is fine. However, I would strongly advise future recruits to
21 > complete the quizzes instead. If you don't, we will ask you to do so
22 > when we pick you up. Obviously, this will lead to extra delay and
23 > frustration.
24 >
25 > This does not apply to Arch Testers. The recruitment process for Arch
26 > Testers will still be through the web application
27
28 Hello,
29
30 for the past two years I am constantly mentoring two-three people at the same
31 time at least. Here is my feedback about the webapp:
32 1) It needs many UI improvements. But every thing that needs improvement
33 (along with possible solutions) is already reported in bugzilla
34 2) Despite its UI being not good, the webapp has proven a way better medium
35 for mentor-mentee communication. With the quizes as text files I had to deal
36 with random text files spread around (and try to find the most recent one), with
37 discussion being split in IRC, various mails etc. Now with the webapp I can
38 easily leave my comment there (which is better as there is more async
39 communication now), I have consistent history of our discussion, and I have
40 all the answers of all my mentees in one page, which is awesome because I can
41 compare answers and say quickly to my mentee what he forgot to write down.
42 With that being said, I am proposing the following:
43 1) I'll announce a call for volunteers, we really need a web designer on the
44 project.
45 2) Please keep the questions in sync between the text quizes and the webapp.
46 I'll continue to use the webapp to communicate with my mentees (as it is doing
47 more good than harm), and will write a script to extract the answers in the
48 text files so you can be happy as well.
49
50 Theo