From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC - Gentoo on the Lab
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 14:43:38
1 On 08/22/05 Ricardo Loureiro wrote:
2
3 > 1- Can I RSYNC_EXCLUDE everything except profiles and have an usable
4 > system?
5
6 Define "usable". As only portage uses the tree it would be the only
7 thing that might break.
8
9 > 2- There was a portagesql effort, is it dead?
10
11 As far as I know, yes. But it wasn't what you wanted anyway (only
12 implemented a SQL cache for faster searching, interesting that almost
13 every "rewrite" attempt implements searching first)
14
15 > 3- If I tweak a custom profile not to have dev packages such as gcc,
16 > what kind of problems should I expect? Which packages from the base
17 > profile MUST exist? The idea is that the client machines should not
18 > be capable of compiling software.
19
20 I'd guess baselayout + it's deps + libc are the absolute minimum
21 (excluding baselayout-lite and other embedded solutions).
22
23 > 4- Any ideas on how the conf files should be handled?
24
25 Depends on your client nodes, if they are (almost) identical I'd just
26 sync them from a master node. If not it gets complicated.
27
28 Anyway, I hope you realize that your project doesn't only involve
29 hacking on portage, but rewriting almost all of it for the client part.
30 Actually I'd rather suggest you start from scratch (so you also make it
31 work completely without a tree), or wait for Brians rewrite in HEAD (not
32 a good idea though if you have a deadline). Server should be less of an
33 issue, mostly config tweaks there.
34 But as Donnie said, gentoo-portage-dev is the better list for this
35 discussion.
36
37 Marius
42 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
43 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.
44 --
45 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list