From: Matti Bickel <mabi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-dev-announce] Stabilisation exceptions
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 20:01:03
1 On 01/27/2011 07:42 PM, Tomáš Chvátal wrote:
2 > Only to gain the ~allarch. When it gains it gets tested by arch member
3 > of any team and stabled. Verstanden? :)
4
5 Yep, I think I did. But what if introduce, say, a non-portable find
6 command into a new revision that breaks on some arches. I'll carry over
7 ~allarch for this revision, I even test it on my amd64 machine. Only to
8 find prefix/bsd users screwed and wanting my head ;)
9
10 So to continue having my stuff ~allarch, I'd need to post my modified
11 ebuild to -dev again, right?
12
13 Writing portable (shell) code is a lot harder than normal ebuild
14 writing, as most of the issues won't come up on my machine and I'm
15 simply not experienced enough with portability issues. So I'd find
16 myself posting every change to -dev, just in case.
17
18 So while the idea is intriguing, I think it won't help. Arch teams will
19 have to recheck new revisions for conformance. The time taken to do this
20 could be already spent on marking it "arch".