From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: TomWij@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] markdown docs like README.md
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2013 22:06:46
1 Dnia 2013-09-24, o godz. 23:50:20
2 Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o> napisał(a):
3
4 > On Tue, 24 Sep 2013 22:15:15 +0200
5 > Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
6 >
7 > > Dnia 2013-09-24, o godz. 19:49:33
8 > > hasufell <hasufell@g.o> napisał(a):
9 > >
10 > > > I wonder if it would make any sense to take the effort to convert
11 > > > markdown docs to html format before installing them.
12 > >
13 > > What for? The point of markups like Markdown is for the text to be
14 > > readable as plain text. Converting it to HTML goes against
15 > > this principle.
16 >
17 > Principle or not, we shouldn't force our users down a particular way to
18 > reading them; as that's not what our meta-distribution stands for.
19
20 We shouldn't either work on working for every fancy a single user may
21 have. If there's a real benefit from converting markdown to HTML,
22 please show me one.
23
24 As far as I can see it, we're either talking about:
25
26 1) replacing semi-readable Markdown with unreadable HTML that will
27 require special tools for proper display,
28
29 2) installing duplicate files (the same data in markdown and in HTML),
30
31 3) adding some more ugly awful magic that will make binary packages
32 even less useful.
33
34 That said, I'd rather see people using *tools* to display Markdown
35 rather than converting everything 90s-style.
38 Best regards,
39 Michał Górny