From: AllenJB <gentoo-lists@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Splitting desktop profile to KDE and GNOME
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 12:43:32
Samuli Suominen wrote:
> AllenJB wrote: >> * Why is the developer profile even shown on "eselect profile"? Wouldn't >> it be better to keep "unsupported" profiles off this list. Surely Gentoo >> devs can cope with setting their profile manually in favor of a little >> sanity preservation for the rest of us? > > It's not only for Gentoo developers, but for /Software/ developers in > general. IMHO. >
General software developers should have the following features enabled? - test (all test suites) - stricter (horribly strict portage handling) - digest (ignore package digests) - cvs (not even documented in "man make.conf") - sign (gpg key signing for cvs manifest commits) As well as the infamous I_KNOW_WHAT_I_AM_DOING="yes" Certainly test, stricter and digest are all known to me to cause issues for anyone who doesn't understand what they do and why. AllenJB