From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Reviving GLEP33
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2010 18:21:11
1 On Fri, Aug 06, 2010 at 06:48:31PM +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Fri, 6 Aug 2010 10:27:32 -0700
3 > Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > > As for 'blatant hack', if you've got no users nor preexisting ebuild
5 > > data, you can design whatever you want- it's quite easy to call
6 > > things blatant hacks if you can design things from scratch and not
7 > > worry about compatibility. This is a form of armchair quarterbacking.
8 >
9 > No it isn't, since we've proposed a working alternative that doesn't
10 > have any of the defects that EAPI in its current form does.
11 <snip>
12 > You appear to be confusing "providing a better replacement that we can
13 > use immediately that doesn't have any of these problems" with
14 > "bitching".
15 <snip>
16 > That's ok. We can migrate to an even better solution now.
17
18 And by "right now", I assume you meant to say "minimally a year down
19 the line after a portage is stabled supporting g55 semantics and
20 resolving any breakage it's usage induces". You know, the same issue
21 EAPI itself had to go through to ensure that people had a reasonable
22 chance of getting an appropriate error message and support being in
23 place.
24
25 Accuracy in details is very useful, including stating the full picture
26 rather than just the parts you think sell your particular view.
29 > The *fact* is, you can't use new version formats with any of your
30 > proposals,
31
32 New version formats aren't magically usable the moment g55 lands. At
33 the very least you're forgetting about bundled glsa's and their
34 knowledge of atom formats.
35
36 Suppose the next comment will be "they suck, throw them out", but so
37 it goes.
38
39 Realistically, 'the fact is' that a specific scm tag is preferable to
40 -9999. The reality is that people and the tools have been working
41 around it without huge issues for a long while.
42
43 Would it be nice having some -scm tag? Sure. Is it worth the
44 disruption impementing it, and it's dependencies requires? That
45 arguement you've still not managed to convince people of.
48 > and using new global scope functionality or new bash
49 > functionality introduces all kinds of nasty difficulties and arbitrary
50 > restrictions of which developers have to be intimately aware.
51
52 The restrictions are "no new global functionality can set or influence
53 EAPI". Basically the same restriction you forced on eclasses. It's
54 nasty and arbitrary when I state it, but some how it is sane when you
55 propose it the same thing?
58 The thing you're ignoring out of this g55 idiocy is that people don't
59 particularly seem to want it. There has been an extremely vocal
60 subgroup of paludis/exherbo devs pushing for it while everyone else
61 seems to have less than an interest in it. That's generalizing a bit,
62 but is reasonably accurate.
63
64 Pretty much, scream all you want, if people don't like it it's not
65 going to go anywhere. So... keep fighting windmills, or do something
66 useful and use what is available to you (existing EAPI semantics).
67
68 _EITHER WAY_, rather than having g33 get beat down for unrelated
69 reasons by people screaming they want their pony/g55, g33 can proceed
70 despite claims to the contrary, and it doesn't require g55 as
71 ciaran/crew have claimed.
72
73 Split a thread if you really want to rehash g55 also, rather than the
74 thread jacking that is underway.
75
76 ~brian