From: James Le Cuirot <chewi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] timezone configuration - why copying, not symlinking /etc/localtime ?
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2021 07:59:01
1 On Sun, 21 Mar 2021 05:18:52 +0100
2 Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > >>>>> On Sat, 20 Mar 2021, William Hubbs wrote:
5 >
6 > > /etc/localtime should definitely be a symlink to the proper file in
7 > > /usr/share/zoneinfo.
8 >
9 > > This works fine if /usr is on a separate partition *and* you are using
10 > > an initramfs. The only time it doesn't work is if /usr is separate
11 > > without using an initramfs.
12 >
13 > > Council decided years ago that we don't support separate /usr without
14 > > an initramfs, but we haven't completed that transition yet.
15 >
16 > Which doesn't imply that we deliberately break things.
17
18 How about making emerge --config dynamic, copying if it's on a
19 different partition and symlinking if it's not? You can't accurately
20 determine the use of an initramfs but at least this is closer to what
21 we want.
24 James Le Cuirot (chewi)
25 Gentoo Linux Developer