From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] sys-libs/zlib: punt from system in profiles
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 04:24:48
1 On Tuesday 29 November 2011 21:14:49 Matt Turner wrote:
2 > On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 3:09 PM, Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
3 > > we have USE=zlib already which should cover automatically pulling in zlib
4 > > when necessary, and we have that by default in make.conf. so there's no
5 > > need to explicitly list zlib as part of the system target. so time to
6 > > drop it.
7 >
8 > I don't object to this, but just to satisfy my curiosity, what are the
9 > effects of removing, say, zlib or readline from the system profile?
10 > It'd be very difficult if not impossible to construct a system without
11 > these. The only effect I've noticed from changes like these are that
12 > sometimes the packages will be depcleaned from stage3 tarballs if
13 > nothing has them in RDEPEND.
14
15 another advantage: manual searches of packages linking against readline shows
16 a bunch of packages lacking USE=readline control (which i've fixed up).
17 hopefully people who dep clean this thing will notice and file bugs (we've had
18 a few along those lines in the pass).
19 -mike