From: Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ECONF-OPTIONS (Was: PMS EAPI 3 more or less ready)
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 07:56:49
1 On Tue, 2009-04-21 at 16:17 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 05:11:15 +0300
3 > Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o> wrote:
4 > > > * ECONF-OPTIONS
5 > >
6 > > query
7 > > --disable-dependency-tracking has other implications than it being
8 > > allowed to be passed to ./configure or not - such as dependency
9 > > tracking being, well, disabled and the affects of that in face of any
10 > > outside influences to headers used by it from the system, when
11 > > compared to the case when dependency tracking is enabled. Such as
12 > > when a separate (possibly parallel) install step kicks in.
13 >
14 > If a parallel install is overwriting things on / whilst a package is
15 > compiling, things are already horribly broken regardless of this
16 > switch. PMS explicitly forbids that from happening.
17
18 That's that. And then there's the real world.
19
20 > > Olivier Crête also has an outstanding comment about a maintainer
21 > > possibly not wanting that disabled in case of patches applied. Could
22 > > use some elaboration on that thought, or comments in replies.
23 >
24 > It's always possible to override it if necessary.
25
26 No. It is possible to not use econf and write all of the options it's
27 supposed to be passing manually. Probably missing something or otherwise
28 being horribly long.
29
30 > > --enable-fast-install is completely new to me for consideration under
31 > > EAPI-3. Maybe I just missed it when reading PMS draft before, and it
32 > > wasn't listed in the other summaries.
33 >
34 > No, it's been there all along.
35
36 Ok. That doesn't change it's complete pointlessness to be there.
39 Anyway,
40
41 "whatever" on --disable-dependency-tracking
42 Definitely _no_ on --enable-fast-install. It is already the default and
43 when it isn't (I know of no such cases), upstream maintainer has
44 _explicitly_ made it so. It is not our business to be passing the
45 libtool specific default argument.
49 Mart Raudsepp
50 Gentoo Developer
51 Mail: leio@g.o