From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Steve Dibb <beandog@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New global use flag: vpx or vp8
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2010 20:13:08
1 On Saturday, July 31, 2010 16:02:51 Steve Dibb wrote:
2 > On 07/31/2010 12:51 PM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 > > On Saturday, July 31, 2010 14:27:14 Jacob Godserv wrote:
4 > >> Honestly not sure what convention is for naming, but I found this
5 > >>
6 > >> recently, and thought I might throw it out there:
7 > >> ~ $ euse -i lame
8 > >>
9 > >> ....
10 > >> [+ C ] lame - Prefer using LAME libraries for MP3 encoding support
11 > >> ....
12 > >>
13 > >> While, as a user, I prefer this to be mp3, I also understand there may
14 > >> be more than one library for such-and-so, so I'm willing to read up on
15 > >> USE flags to find out which is the best to use. Overall, I would prefer
16 > >> naming according to the names of the libraries they'll enable.
17 > >
18 > > that example isnt relevant. notice how the description includes the word
19 > > "prefer" and isnt just "enable mp3 support".
20 >
21 > The description is misleading, and needs to be changed. Just because
22 > something has an mp3 and a lame use flag, it does not mean that flipping
23 > on lame means that the application will prefer lame over mad or mpg123.
24
25 sounds like a bug in the package, or the package metadata.xml needs updating.
26 the current lame desc sounds fine to me.
27 -mike