From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Improving repoman checking, better idea (add arch.desc file)
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2017 19:08:15
1 On 01/29/2017 10:06 AM, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
2 > So I've been talking to kent\n and the conclusion is that our ideas basically
3 > do and achieve the same, with a slightly different approach. (I still like
4 > mine better though. :)
5 >
6 > However one valid point that came up in discussions is - whether an arch
7 > supports stable keywords is a per-arch setting, not a per-profile setting. So
8 > we can actually make things much easier (and the transition safer).
9 >
10 > Proposal No 2:
11 > * Leave profiles.desc unmodified
12 > * Introduce a new file arch.desc, which contains the "stability status" of an
13 > arch;
14 >
15 > Syntax: 2 columns,
16 > # arch status
17 > amd64 stable
18 > mips testing
19 > sh unstable
20 >
21 > The meaning of the keywords "stable", "testing", "unstable" is the same as in
22 > the previous proposal,
23 >
24 >> "Does this arch support stable keywords, and how should "arch" vs. "~arch"
25 >> be treated?"
26 >> - "stable": separately check consistency of ~arch and arch tree, both have
27 >> to be OK. This is what repoman is doing now, and is the default if the 4th
28 >> column is undefined.
29 >> - "testing": treat "arch" as "~arch" when requiring consistency, do not
30 >> check "arch" alone. Useful if an arch wants to prepare going stable, useful
31 >> for arch teams maintaining a pseudo-stable subset for stages. repoman could
32 >> have a new command line switch that temporarily upgrades from "testing" to
33 >> "stable" (for arch team work).
34 >> - "unstable": check "~arch" only, "arch" in an ebuild produces a fatal
35 >> repoman error
36 >
37 > The combination of current profiles.desc and new arch.desc provides the same
38 > flexibility as in the previous e-mail.
39 >
40 > Compatibility and transition:
41 >
42 > 0) PMS should be amended to allow the additional file.
43 >
44 > 1) Compatibility: No arch.desc and new system, or arch not listed in arch.desc
45 > *Arches* are treated as "stable" by repoman (current behaviour), with profile
46 > status according to profiles.desc.
47 > Gentoolkit and other tools trying to determine a list of stable arches should
48 > fall back to current method of scanning profiles.desc for stable profiles.
49 >
50 > 2) Compatibility: arch.desc and old system
51 > Tools ignore the unknown file (?).
52 > Repoman and other tools may emit surplus errors when profiles are checked on
53 > arches that are "testing" (they check the consistency of the stable tree
54 > alone, which is not OK, since "arch" is supposed to be treated like "~arch").
55 >
56 > 3) On introduction of the new column, it will be set to "stable" for all
57 > stable arches, "testing" for all arches where "inofficial" stable keywords
58 > exist (sh, s390, ...), and "unstable" everywhere else.
59 >
60 > 4) Arches in "testing" or "unstable" may eventually consider re-introducing
61 > stable *profiles* so their deptree in ~arch remains consistent.
62 >
63 > More opinions, flames, cookies?
64 >
65 > Cheers, Andreas
66
67 I like what I have read here and elsewhere.
68
69 Solutions centric around a minimized profile will allow gentooers to
70 use identical (minimized) profiles for a wide variety of hardware
71 types:: different uP, dsp, fpga, custom (soc, asic, etc). I.E.
72 heterogeneous gentoo clusters without any systemd associated codes. I do
73 not have access to Kent's posting so perhaps a reference to Kent's ideas?
76 It would be very much appreciated if there is a posting on this list of
77 what the consensus becomes, with some discussion as to how it will
78 affect the ever expanding variety of cluster formations, particularly
79 gentoo-style unikernel types of clusters and how to cluster up a variety
80 of gentoo-embedded systems, which are actually quite similar to
81 unikernel based clusters.
84 A state-diagram of just how all of these profiles are intertwined, would
85 help to clarify the details and thus be keenly appreciate, when a final
86 verdict is reached.
89 hth,
90 James