From: Maurice van der Pot <griffon26@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] What to do with things like -fpie in CFLAGS in environment?
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 19:27:46
1 On Tue, Apr 12, 2005 at 12:10:25PM -0400, Daniel Ostrow wrote:
2 >
3 > Take a look at dev-libs/glib/files/glib-2.6.3-testglib-ssp.patch to see
4 > how solar and I dealt with a similar issue with tests and ssp. See if
5 > you can adapt it, we just forced -fno-stack-protector after the CFLAGS
6 > pulled in from the system.
9 Ok, so I thought it was all well and good, but now a bug report made me
10 realise that gcc < 3.4 doesn't have -fpie/-fno-pie.
11
12 Here's the problem:
13 1) valgrind has some features that only work with -fpie
14 2) valgrind's tests fail to build with -fpie
15 3) because of the hardened gcc profile, valgrind's tests need -fno-pie
16 4) simply patching some makefiles to add -fno-pie for tests is not
17 possible because gcc < 3.4 doesn't support -fno-pie
18 5) having the valgrind developers modify their configure/makefiles to
19 add -fno-pie for tests in case gcc supports it is not enough, because
20 user CFLAGS are appended and CFLAGS in make.conf may contain -fpie
21 6) using filter-flags to get rid of -fpie in user's CFLAGS actually
22 adds -fno-pie and disables features referred to in 1)
23
24 What do I do now?
25
26 Why is -fno-pie being added by filter-flags anyway?
27
28 Maurice.
31 Maurice van der Pot
32