From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: newsitem: unmasking udev-181
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 05:49:16
1 Rich Freeman posted on Sat, 10 Mar 2012 21:53:25 -0500 as excerpted:
2
3 > On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 9:27 PM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
4 > wrote:
5 >> here is the udev 181 unmasking news item.
6 >>
7 >> If all goes well, this will be committed to the tree  on 3/14 UTC.
8 >
9 > I guess this might be OK for unstable, but before this goes stable we
10 > really need to improve the docs around this.
11
12 Definitely agreed. Before it's unmasked to stable, there should be a
13 nice step-by-step upgrade guide. In general, ~arch users are expected to
14 be able to take care of themselves to a large degree, while stable users,
15 pretty much simply need to know how to follow the step-by-step
16 instructions in the handbook well enough to get a running system. Thus,
17 for critical upgrades that are likely to leave the system unbootable if
18 they're not handled correctly, they need and gentoo has in the past
19 normally provided, a nice step-by-step upgrade guide.
20
21 It's a tall order in some ways, and I /think/ the baselayout-2/openrc
22 upgrade broke that tradition to some extent as it was unmasked to stable
23 before the docs were done properly, but that's in the past now and should
24 remain the exception.
25
26 That is, unless we're prepared to change the definition of stable (or
27 even simply get rid of it entirely, referring people that need it to arch
28 or some other distro), and if we're doing that, there really should be a
29 discussion about it and a proper decision, council or even full active
30 dev vote, story on the gentoo.org front page, etc. As I run ~arch
31 anyway, I personally would certainly not oppose such an idea, but we
32 shouldn't just let gentoo slip into it; if it's going to happen, it
33 should be a deliberate decision taken after a discussion on the merits.
34
35 > I'm not really asking for automation here - just documentation and
36 > reasonable stability in how things work.
37
38 Exactly.
39
40 > Again, this is likely more of a concern before this is stabilized.
41
42 Right, but as it's headed for ~arch now, this is the time to get planning
43 for stabilization.
44
45 > However, knowing what I went through to get my bind-mounted /usr on
46 > LVM+mdraid working with dracut, I can imagine that any unstable users
47 > with tricky setups could face a fun weekend.
48
49 Yes, indeed. I'd actually suggest a 1-2 week advance notice news item
50 for exactly that reason, even for ~arch, perhaps /especially/ for ~arch,
51 since the nice upgrade guide isn't there yet. Yes, that means delaying
52 the unmasking at this point, but it can be done well, or it can be done
53 haphazardly.
54
55 Actually, ideally, there'd be a good start on the upgrade guide for ~arch
56 as well, tho it wouldn't need to be perfect. Then ~arch users could be
57 more effectively encouraged to do what they're /supposed/ to do, report
58 bugs when things don't go well, so they can be fixed before unmasking to
59 stable, for the upgrade guide that goes along with it, too! =:^)
60
61 But that's simply the ideal. ~arch users should be able to take care of
62 themselves, given a few days notice, anyway. Using them to help debug
63 the upgrade doc at the same time is indeed the ideal, but regardless of
64 that, arch users should still get by, the chance to use them to debug
65 corner-cases in the docs before unmasking to stable, is just lost.
66
67 > Perhaps a suggestion for the news item. I'd recommend that anybody who
68 > needs an initramfs to mount /usr get that working BEFORE they upgrade
69 > udev. This situation is a heck of a lot easier to figure out if the
70 > system still can be booted when the initramfs doesn't work.
71
72 Yes. This is another reason to put the news item out there a couple
73 weeks early, with the "strong recommendation" for those with a separate
74 /usr to get the initramfs up and working BEFORE udev-181 is unmasked, and
75 a couple weeks lead time on the news item, in ordered to let them do it.
76
77 IMO, I'm not the package maintainer or the arch folks that will be doing
78 the stabilizing, nor the one that will have to deal with the bugs, etc.
79 So just IMO.
84 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman