From: Jon Portnoy <avenj@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo: State of the Union
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 15:26:16
1 On Sat, Apr 29, 2006 at 09:38:17AM -0500, Daniel Goller wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > Jon Portnoy wrote:
6 > > On Sat, Apr 29, 2006 at 08:41:31AM -0500, Daniel Goller wrote:
7 > >> inviting community) and why you think stricter test make for better
8 > >> developers, why you think harder tests would cut down more on the quick
9 > >> in and out people.
10 > >
11 > > Empirical evidence agrees.
12 > >
13 > > Our current quiz practices have done a good job keeping out a lot of the
14 > > incompetence that used to slip through before we took that approach.
15 > >
16 > > Stricter tests make for more knowledgable developers and folks with a
17 > > lack of commitment to Gentoo are usually not willing to tackle the
18 > > learning curve.
19 > >
20 > > As for whether or not we're inviting or not, anybody can contribute.
21 > > They don't need to be @gentoo.org to do so. What we really need is to
22 > > focus more on those outside contributions.
25 > so that is where this is all coming from, who said that we should hand
26 > out @gentoo.org ? i never said that, they don't need it, and everyone
27 > gets to feel all special about the @gentoo.org the way they are used to,
28 > a committing contributor does not require a @gentoo.org
31 That's called a "figure of speech" -- I was not literally referring to
32 the email address but rather Gentoo developer status. Sorry for being
33 unclear.
34
35 My point was more that commit access is not a prerequisite to
36 contribute.
39 > and unless you give them a general aptitude and attitude test, you do
40 > not know a thing about the person who answered a few technical questions
41 > (more)
44 Sure you do. You know whether they know what they're doing in the tree.
47 Jon Portnoy
48 avenj/irc.freenode.net
49 --
50 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list