From: "Paweł Hajdan
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Tone in Gentoo
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 16:39:59
1 On 6/16/10 5:33 AM, Sebastian Pipping wrote:
2 > As I have heard there are people not joining Gentoo because the
3 > atmosphere in Gentoo is lacking respect and empathy.
4
5 This is really sad. And the kind of people who value that often make
6 good developers if they also have good technical skills.
7
8 > I have searched a few places for rules on tone,
9
10 I believe one can't solve this problem by using rules.
11
12 > - With these Code of Conduct rules in place how come DevRel
13 > is not publicly reminding of these rules where necessary?
14
15 I think the initiative is on the offended person's side. If a developer
16 is being aggressive and needlessly argumentative towards other people,
17 that's clearly a misconduct. Similarly for aggressive users.
18
19 > Could it be we expect perfection from each other instead seeking to
20 > understand and complement each other?
21
22 That might be a part of it.
23
24 > What can we do to make Gentoo a friendlier community?
25
26 We need leadership. I remember very well when the leader of one of the
27 Gentoo projects I participate in reminded me to always say "thanks" to
28 people who are helping us on Bugzilla. A small thing, but wasn't he right?
29
30 I believe it's the project leaders and the Council who ultimately set
31 the tone.
32
33 Paweł