From: aeleblanc@×××××××.ca
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Terrific!!! Gentoo rules.
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 17:26:08
1 Just thought i'd take the time to comment on how thoroughly impressed I am
2 with gentoo. I'm by no means a linux guru, however i have installed and
3 fooled around with a variety of Free OS's including OpenBSD, FreeBSD,
4 Debian Woody, Redhat 7/2, mandrake 7&8 (I think those were the versions)
5 and slackware 8. the only reason I never stuck with one of them is
6 because there was always a couple peices of software that iwanted that i
7 couldn't get working properly. I installed Gentoo just yesterday
8 afternoon and i've already got everything that i want installed and
9 running properly. I love the ports-style package management (although i
10 would have been up and running alot quicker if I didn't have to compile
11 kde3!! :) as someone who is trying to find a viable alternative OS, i can
12 assure you that the best thing about gentoo is that i can install
13 virtually anything i can think of extremely easily, and its all up to date
14 software, its similar to what Iliked about debian, but if you want
15 software thats more recent that 1998 you have to use an unstable branch,
16 which is terribly hard to work with.
17
18 Keep up the good work!
19 Andre