From: Drake Wyrm <wyrm@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ACCESS DENIED during emerge
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 21:05:06
1 "A. Khattri" <ajai@××××.net> wrote:
2 > On Fri, 28 Apr 2006, Chris White wrote:
3 > > On Friday 28 April 2006 12:41 pm, A. Khattri wrote:
4 > > > In writing and testing a new ebuild, I ran emerge as root and got
5 > > > ACCESS DENIED errors when it tried writing two config files into
6 > > > /etc.
7 > > >
8 > > > Do I need to do something special for config files in an ebuild?
9 > >
10 > > Don't copy files to the live filesystem, instead do:
11 > >
12 > > cp whatever.conf whatever2.conf ${D}/etc/
13 > >
14 > > or some people like:
15 > >
16 > > insinto /etc
17 > > doins whatever.conf whatever2.conf
18 >
19 > Ah, I see now that the actual make install is trying to do this.
20 [snip]
21 > 1. So I need to set --enable-conf-install=no which also implies I need
22 > to override src_compile
23
24 You shouldn't need to completely override src_compile for just that. All
25 you'd need to do is set EXTRA_ECONF appropriately.
26
27 > 2. And then after the build, override pkg_postinst to copy the sample
28 > config files into /etc
29 >
30 > Does this sound right or is there a better (preferred?) way?
31
32 As I understand things, it should be done in src_install. One way to do
33 this is to prevent the package from installing to /etc by using
34 --enable-conf-install=no and then using one of Chris's two suggestions.
35
36 Another way would be to patch the Makefile.in so that it would respect
37 --prefix=whatever for that portion of the install.
38
39 Yet another way would be to patch the Makefile.am and use that to
40 generate a better Makefile.in. This last method has the added advantage
41 that you can send the patch upstream for inclusion in the actual package
42 for some future revision, thereby alleviating the need to deal with this
43 at all (at some point in the future).
46 There are problems in today's world that cannot be
47 solved by the level of thinking that created them.
48 -- Albert Einstein