From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] rfc: OpenRC Networking Scripts
Date: Sat, 26 May 2012 19:41:18
All,

I realize this has been discussed and there are definite opinions about
which method works well. So, I want to take a different approach.

Is there any interest in documenting and supporting newnet along side
oldnet as opposed to killing newnet?

Newnet would consist of the "network" init script to set up your
loopback interface along with something like dhcpcd, networkmanager,
or wicd (and wpa_supplicant for wireless interfaces) running in
standalone mode to manage your other interfaces.

My understanding of the way newnet works is that the big advantage would
come for workstations that have a simple network setup and where users
would want hotplugged interfaces to just work.

Any thoughts?

William