From: 320095285153-0001@t-online.de (Achim Gottinger)
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo RC3 kernel booting with AMD K6
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 06:59:45
1 Achim Gottinger wrote:
2
3 > Achim Gottinger wrote:
4 >
5 > > Brian Snipes wrote:
6 > >
7 > > > OK. I followed the installation instructions from gentoo.org and my
8 > > > booting of the bzImage kernel stops at:
9 > > >
10 > > > VFS: Mounted root (reiserfs filesystem) readonly.
11 > > > Freeing unused kernel memory: 220k freed
12 > > >
13 > > > And then it pauses forever. Does the kernel support K6 processors or is
14 > > > it PII+ only or does anyone else have any ideas what might be the problem?
15 > >
16 > > Hi Brian,
17 > >
18 > > I tested to install on a K6 yesterday too. The bootcd freezes after linuxrc
19 > > is finished
20 > > So init gets not started.
21 > > I compiled everything here with -mpentium not -mpentiumpro, so the
22 > > optimization can not be the cause
23 > > for that. The tarnge thing is that older versions of gentoo worked fine on
24 > > K6/2 machines here.
25 > >
26 > > If you have found the bug, please tell me, meanwhile I will try get things
27 > > working here.
30 > I was unable to fix this bug till now. :-/
31 > But I found out at which place the system hangs.
32 > It is definately /sbin/init that does not work.
33 > I modified /usr/src/linux/init/main.c a bit to output more info what is going
34 > on at the moment.
35 > And I found out that the last call in mail.c that succeeds is
36 > execve(/sbin/init....).
37 > This function does not return on sucess, so I think /sbin/init can be executed
38 > but hangs then.
39 > So I will focus on init now.
40
41 I build an statically linked init with -m486 and replaced the init on my
42 testsystem with that.
43
44 Now if I boot I see the INIT headline after "Freeing unused memory" then the
45 system freezes.
46 I make a -m486 optimized sys.tbz2 now and will try that.
51 > > Bye Achim
52 > >
53 > > >
54 > > > Brian Snipes