From: Corey Crawford <ccrawford@×××××××.net>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Ebuilds and the changes people make to them
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2003 20:52:32
1 O.K.,
2
3 I'm a huge fan of ebuilds and the whole portage system.
4
5 But: who decides what changes to make in these ebuilds? I'm really getting
6 sick and tired of upgrading packages only to find that someone decided to
7 change the ./configure options the ebuild uses.
8
9 I shouldn't have to worry about my Apache server not working after an
10 upgrade! This is the latest example:
11
12 The '--with-suexec-docroot' configure option for the SuExec module in
13 Apache2's ebuild to something other than all previous Apache2 ebuilds. This
14 was done in apache-2.0.48-r1. _Why?_ This broke all of the CGI scripts on my
15 virtual hosts until it was noticed and corrected the next day.
16
17 I shouldn't have to go into every ebuild and make sure someone didn't change
18 paths on me before doing (what is suppose to be) a simple upgrade.
19
20 [/rant]
21
22 Has anyone considered moving any 'configure' options to another file?
23
24 Moving the 'configure' options to another file would alleviate a lot of
25 problems. This would allow those of us who have working systems to continue
26 to have functioning systems even if the default values for those configure
27 options have changed.
28
29 Do-able? Comments?
30