From: "W.Kenworthy" <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] KDE 3.4.0; reminder - there are split ebuilds
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 02:09:36
1 One thing missing from this how to avoid using the spit ebuilds (i.e.,
2 some kind of use flag may be needed?). Even with distcc and multiple
3 helpers, it only takes a few separate packages to blow the time needed
4 to compile past a single package.
5
6 Example on a K6-500, kdelibs took (according to genlop) 11hrs 39 mins.
7 This was out of some 3 and a bit days compiling 86 packages (big update
8 - mostly gnome related - see last paragraph). You say in the documents
9 that a split kde will do around 100 packages in a typical update. On
10 the above figures, that looks like it will blow my compile times way
11 out! Not just an acceptable small amount.
12
13 Is it only me that thinks this idea is crazy, as the biggest single
14 criticism of gentoo is build from source compile time, especially on the
15 first install where this will hit really really badly? Monolithic
16 builds are not ideal and have problems of their own, but here I think
17 practicality needs to come into it. Alternatively, some major fixes to
18 the build system to fix the core problem (mostly the configure stage
19 needs caching properly) well before this is implemented.
20
21 I am not a dev, only a user, but who uses this stuff daily - and I can
22 see big problems on the horizon with this for the average user on less
23 than the fastest and latest hardware. I mainly use gnome (but have kde
24 installed), and can attest to the fact that their multi package approach
25 sucks. You get updates that fail and block other packages and you end
26 up with a mixed package and broken gnome (has happened numerous times) -
27 on gnome systems I keep a fluxbox (and a kde on my main desktop) install
28 so I dont get caught with an unusable system. Then there is the fact
29 that updates to gentoo stable usually mean multiple gnome packages
30 updated - rarely is it just one or two packages. Gnome has only a
31 fraction of the packages in kde, but the disadvantages of this from a
32 user point of view are quite plain from experience.
35 BillK
36
37 *I did see the discussions on this previously and the MIPS peoples
38 objection to it, but from my own figures and experience, I dont want to
39 go the split ebuild path on any of my x86 systems, only one of which
40 could be called "fast". By the time confcache comes out I may have
41 nearly finished compiling the first split ebuilds.
42