From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: A Little Council Reform Anyone?
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 03:40:50
1 On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 7:50 PM, Andrew D Kirch<trelane@×××××××.net> wrote:
2 > Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
3 >> < trelane> ciaranm: I want Paludis to fail. It's unhealthy (or at least
4 >> the loudest and most visible of it's devs are) for Gentoo.
5 >>
6 >> < trelane> lets be VERY clear on that point. So long as Paludis, and
7 >> the culture it creates are unhealthy for Gentoo I want it to fail.
8 >>
9 >> < trelane> ciaranm: that's put in a manner that seems to be a somewhat
10 >> knee-jerk reaction. It should be clear that opposing you and everything
11 >> you do was an initiative I started only after careful consideration.
15 I think to preface I will state that Gentoo now is not the Gentoo of
16 yore and will likely never be again. That is part of the reason why I
17 left (too big, too rudderless). I hope the new council can find a
18 rudder. That being said the comments below are mine alone.
21 > Ciaran, you are killing Gentoo. You wrote a demonstrably error prone
22 > GLEP 39, then tried to exploit it to ram through GLEP 55, and you got
23 > caught. You've created a huge amount of red tape, needless bickering
24 > argument, and have utterly hamstrung every council ever convened.
25 > Ciaran, you will not be doing this again.
26
27 I somehow doubt Ciaran agrees with you view; nor a number of other
28 folks. It makes it look like you comments are a bit accusatory as if
29 he is conspiring to destroy Gentoo; and I don't think that is the
30 truth of things.
31 One man wars are not really easy to fight; and you will not win many
32 friends (and plenty of enemies.)
33
34 That being said Gentoo is what people make of it; I don't think there
35 is a "Single Gentoo Vision" and there has not been one for years; so
36 it is difficult to see how Ciaran is bringing down anything. If you
37 think his ideas are crap then I suggest locating the people who are
38 using them and talk to them about it. Certainly some people think
39 they are good ideas (otherwise why are they being adopted?).
42 > So there is now a moral question, do I have the right to oppose Ciaran,
43 > Paludis, and everything he does? Certainly I do, especially since he
44 > has created many, myriad, and manifest arguments in the community
45 > (amazingly we're having one now, and I was drug into it). Do I have the
46 > right to voice this opinion? Certainly I do. Is the opinion correct?
47 > In my eyes yes.
48
49 A moral question? Is this some kind of crusade? You have the right
50 to do whatever you want; but you can keep your personal crusade
51 against Ciaran *offlist*, just like all the other personal jibs and
52 statements.
55 > Note though the second sentence, as it is incredibly important. Ciaran
56 > insists on continuing to create red tape for Gentoo, it has created a
57 > recent and MAJOR incident in a council meeting which has created bent
58 > feelings, and totally hijacked the initiative of the council. Until
59 > this behavior stops I will oppose it publicly and loudly.
60
61 To be blunt; the devs picked a poor council then; I hope the new
62 council does better in this area too. It seems to me that if everyone
63 agreed with you that Ciaran was useless and his ideas sucked then he
64 wouldn't get the council's ear. However I believe the opposite is
65 true; developers and teams report specific problems; he goes off to
66 solve them and then brings them to the council. His ideas are
67 actually useful (not all of them, but some) and thus the council is
68 willing to listen.
69
70 The council should be completely under its own control. Step 1 of
71 running an effective meeting is not letting the attendees run the
72 meeting over you (and I've seen it happen in real life meetings and it
73 is hilarious; but I feel bad for the guy running the meeting all the
74 same.) That involves telling Ciaran to STFU if they are spending too
75 much time on his stuff (as anyone who is presenting at meetings.)
78 > I would also point you to the recent council vote, wherein dev-zero was
79 > ousted (see the major incident) and peper, who I think is a nice, sane
80 > guy in my dealings ended up dead last. This is of course because of his
81 > relationship with you Ciaran.
82
83 Of course, you know how everyone voted and why; thus we can easily
84 deduce that everyone hates Ciaran, Exherbo, and Peper! I think its
85 your opinion that Peper lost due to this association (and I would
86 hesitate to call it "obvious".)
89 > Ciaran, you are perhaps the least politically capable person I've ever
90 > met. It is not possible for you to holdiin your head at the same time
91 > two divergent ideas. Your idea of pluralism is that everyone does
92 > things your way. Then when that doesn't happen you throw a temper
93 > tantrum. You sir, are killing Gentoo for these and many other reasons,
94 > and I demand that you stop, I will also unilaterally oppose you until
95 > you do.
96
97 The fact that you make this a black and white case is why I doubt your
98 reasonable stance on the issues. I don't think unilaterally opposing
99 anyone puts you on moral high ground. What if Ciaran actually has a
100 good idea; will you oppose it just because it is Ciaran? You know
101 what I called upstreams who ignored patches from me because I was a
102 Gentoo developer? I call them idiots. Please don't fall into the
103 same boat (and don't shoot Gentoo in the foot by ignoring a source of
104 progress.)
107 > Andrew D Kirch
108 > Funtoo.org
111 > PS: Ciaran, Thank you for comparing me to Rush Limbaugh, I consider it a
112 > compliment.