From: Ralph Sennhauser <sera@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] About forcing rebuilds of other packages issue
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2012 18:06:07
1 On Thu, 07 Jun 2012 09:43:32 -0700
2 Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 06/07/2012 01:24 AM, Brian Harring wrote:
5 > > On Wed, Jun 06, 2012 at 05:43:49PM -0700, Zac Medico wrote:
6 > >> On 06/06/2012 12:23 PM, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
7 > >>> On Wed, 06 Jun 2012 21:16:05 +0200
8 > >>> Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o> wrote:
9 > >>>> Well, I think reading this thread is more or less clear what it
10 > >>>> would be supposed to do, also Zac suggested it and looks to have
11 > >>>> an idea about what should it do.
12 > >>>
13 > >>> There's a big leap from "more or less clear" and "an idea" to the
14 > >>> kind of knowledge we want to have. Think REQUIRED_USE for how
15 > >>> this can go wrong...
16 > >>>
17 > >>> If you think ABI_SLOT is essential, why not try implementing it
18 > >>> and trying it out in a large number of packages, and reporting
19 > >>> your results?
20 > >>
21 > >> It's pretty close to the SLOT operator model, and it seems like it
22 > >> should work fine. We can deploy EAPI 5_pre1 with ABI_SLOT support,
23 > >> and test it in an overlay before we include it in the final EAPI 5.
24 > >
25 > > I'd prefer you nailing down the details a bit more before slipping
26 > > it into an EAPI called "5_pre1"; aside from usual complaints,
27 > > frankly I'd rather not have to figure out the design of it via
28 > > raiding the patches out of portage history ;)
29 >
30 > Ciaran already has SLOT operators in his eapi-5 branch of PMS. Maybe
31 > we can convince him to change it to ABI_SLOT operators.
34 Whether we can convince Ciaran to change the wording of a feature in a
35 draft document is utterly irrelevant.
36
37 SLOT operator deps solve a large class of issues and wont get in the
38 way of solving the ranged dep problem in a later step, be it ABI_SLOT
39 or something more generic.
40
41 I'm all for getting SLOT operators into EAPI-5 as actually already
42 intended for earlier EAPIs. EAPI 5 was supposed to be a quick EAPI so
43 don't let us delay the whole thing because of that.
44
45 > > If we're going to do this, there should be a way to represent
46 > > the direction of compatibility. Might be overthinking it, but
47 > > consider upgrades where new API is added; this does *not* break
48 > > ABI, it extends it. Going in reverse however *would* break ABI for
49 > > anything that was using the new additions. This issue can be
50 > > avoided via usage of version operators w/ appropriate slot binding
51 > > deps, just seems hanky in light of what we're talking about.
52 >
53 > That might be nice, but it also complicates things a bit. We might
54 > stand a better chance of getting Ciaran to cooperate if we keep it
55 > simpler and stay closer to the SLOT operator model.
58 Again, it's not about getting someone to cooperate. Something that you
59 comment with "that might be nice" isn't ready for inclusion into EAPI 5.
60
61 > > I'm perfectly fine w/ ABI_SLOT and SLOT (I proposed a similar thing
62 > > in '06/'07); I'd however suggest ensuring there is some buy in from
63 > > devs on that one since that was the main argument against it in the
64 > > past.
65 >
66 > I can imagine that ABI_SLOT operator deps will be a lot more popular
67 > than SLOT operator deps, since ABI_SLOT operator deps will accommodate
68 > the common practice of allowing ABI changes within a particular SLOT.
69
70 What for? So we won't ever get rid of revdep-rebuild resp.
71 @preserved-libs? Except for the ranged dep problem I don't see any
72 additional benefit but potential drawbacks. Please correct me where I'm
73 wrong.
74
75 Cheers.