From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] dropping support for <linux-2.6.16 on glibc systems
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 21:53:34
1 On Thursday 10 May 2012 15:01:06 Florian Philipp wrote:
2 > Am 09.05.2012 15:47, schrieb Mike Frysinger:
3 > > our glibc versions long ago stopped working with linux-2.4 due to NPTL
4 > > being required. further, we've long set the min kernel version to 2.6.9
5 > > in the ebuild itself. so bumping it to 2.6.16 isn't a stretch.
6 > >
7 > > the driving force here is that glibc upstream is looking to set the min
8 > > kernel version to 2.6.16. if there's no real incentive for us to
9 > > support anything older, then we'll follow suite.
10 >
11 > Can you please keep an old version in the tree? Masked if necessary.
12 > There are still virtual private server hosts out there using 2.6.9
13 > (usually old Red Hat or SuSE servers) and with OpenVZ you cannot deploy
14 > your own kernel.
15
16 it takes a while for older versions to expire from the main tree, and when
17 they do, they just get shifted to the toolchain overlay. so it should be easy
18 for you to add that overlay and pull older glibcs from there.
19
20 for example, there's a glibc-2.9 ebuild still which has been around for 3
21 years at this point, so consider this a 3 year notice :P.
22 -mike