From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] EAPI usage
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2012 12:04:32
1 On 09/02/2012 12:52 PM, Vaeth wrote:
2 > Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3 >
4 >> If I thought that bumping the EAPI would make my life as a maintainer
5 >> easier I'd just do it - I wouldn't need a policy to tell me to do it.
6 >
7 > It is not only so much a question of whether it helps you as a
8 > maintainer but more whether it helps the user. And this is the case
9 > for all EAPIs which currently exist.
10 >
11 > I am surprised that nobody mentioned the following example:
12 >
13 > One of the arguments to introduce the user-patching code into EAPI=5
14 > was that it should work for all packages - not randomly on some but
15 > not on others. So if in the course of time not all packages are
16 > bumped to at least EAPI=5, this goal cannot be reached by introducing
17 > the feature into the EAPI.
18
19 global epatch_user has a downside which I think was not even really
20 discussed here unless I missed something. It could introduce many bogus
21 bug reports which are caused by user-applied patches, cause it's easier
22 now and you don't need to do it in an overlay.
23 The maintainer will need to catch this and asking which repo the
24 bugreporter did use is not sufficient. He will need the build log and
25 check if user patches got applied there.
26
27 Always talking about the benefit for the user and not the time
28 developers have to spend on things does not catch the whole situation.
29
30 >> If I did think that bumping the EAPI wasn't worth the hassle, and yet
31 >> I was told that I'd be banned as a dev for not doing so anyway, then
32 >> obviously I'm going to do the minimum necessary to comply with policy,
33 >> which means changing the EAPI line of the ebuild and only changing
34 >> other lines as required to get the thing to build and comply with PMS.
35 >
36 > This is sufficient for 99% of the ebuilds.
37
38 PMS is a fraction of what is to consider when writing an ebuild. It does
39 not include QA policies, gentoo policies and whatnot.
42 >> So, while all those benefits you named are "enabled" few would
43 >> actually be realized.
44 >
45 > For current EAPIs, most benefits are realized just by bumping EAPI.
46 > For instance, the improved error checking (i.e. dying on certain problems)
47 > happens automatically and might reveal problems which were hidden before.
48
49 dying on certain problems can be achieved without EAPI bump.
52 > Also, for EAPI=5, other packages (possibly from overlays) can make use
53 > of slot dependencies from your packages.
54 >
55 > OK, for changing from setup tests for USE dependencies and USE_REQUIRE
56 > may require some extra coding (though not much), but again it is
57 > the _user_ who will gain from it a lot.
60 If a user wants/needs features of newer EAPIs, because he does some
61 things in his overlay, he could probably open a bug report with a
62 proposed patch to the ebuild which bumps the EAPI.
63
64 Unless that's the case I would leave it to the developer if he needs
65 those features or what EAPI he prefers. If a newer EAPI would fix a bug
66 it might still be solvable without EAPI-bump. Again: leave it to the
67 developer.
68
69 This will create a useless annoyance and I can assure you that
70 developers WILL ignore this policy/rule. What are you gonna do then?
71 Just bump it on your own without asking? Take it up to devrel?
72 It's not really worth it.
73
74 The benefits have been stated and it's already advised that developers
75 keep up with the latest EAPI, but you _cannot_ assume it anyway like
76 some PMS contributors do.