From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ACCEPT_LICENSE revisited
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 15:15:51
1 On Sat, 2006-11-18 at 18:35 -0800, Brian Harring wrote:
2 > Meanwhile, the point that interactivty requires a seperate mechanism
3 > still stands (see gpl example above).
4
5 No, it doesn't. A GPL package has a GPL license. If that package
6 requires files from a CD or not has *nothing* to do with the *license*
7 requiring interactive acceptance. We're talking licenses here.
8
9 > And what of cdrom_get_cds and friends? They're going to require a
10 > restrict due to them being interactive, unless y'all are proposing a
11 > special case addition to the ebuilds restrict for when its license is
12 > a member of NON-INTERACTIVE...
13
14 What does requiring a CD have to do with a license requiring acceptance?
15
16 We aren't even *trying* to solve that issue with this. That is a
17 separate issue for a separate discussion.
18
19 > NON-INTERACTIVE obviously is not accept all licenses, as such there
20 > *is* a change in the behaviour.
21
22 Yes and no. Sure, it means portage will now stop the package from being
23 installed, rather than it being at the ebuild level, but it will still
24 be asking the user to accept the license.
25
26 > My suggestion would be to drop the NON-INTERACTIVE crap, go back to
27 > the '*' original assumptino folks had, and finish off glep52; either
28 > that or find a helluva lot better name for NON-INTERACTIVE since it's
29 > duplication of what glep52 should address.
30
31 No, it isn't.
32
33 GLEP23 is for things like Enemy Territory
34 GLEP52 is for things like Maya, UT2004, etc.
35
36 They cover different areas of responsibility. Were it not for the
37 license, Enemy Territory would *not* be interactive in any way. This
38 means we need *two* mechanisms here, one for the license, and one for
39 the ebuild, which is *exactly* what we have with both GLEPs.
42 Chris Gianelloni
43 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
44 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
45 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
46 Gentoo Foundation