From: Marek Szuba <marecki@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Package up for grabs: dev-libs/amdgpu-pro-opencl
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2019 12:53:55
1 For those of you not familiar with it, dev-libs/amdgpu-pro-opencl
2 packages the OpenCL bits of the proprietary, binary-only AMDGPU-Pro
3 software stack into a form compatible with the Open Source amdgpu
4 environment in general and Gentoo in particular. It has been working
5 surprisingly well for an ugly hack it is but now that we have Radeon
6 Open Compute-based OpenCL support for amdgpu (which will eventually be
7 fully Open Source and at the moment only requires proprietary libraries
8 for one last feature, image support) in the tree I feel it is time for
9 it to go - especially given that it only support AMD GPUs older than
10 Vega 10.
11
12 Unfortunately it would be awkward to simply last-rite because the
13 ROC-based implementation does not support ABI_X86_32
14 (dev-libs/rocm-opencl-runtime and its dependencies may or may not work
15 in 32-bit mode but have neither multilib support nor x86 keywords at
16 present, whereas the closed-source components are only available for
17 native amd64).
18
19 No open tickets on Bugzilla, binaries for both versions currently in the
20 tree are still available, and beyond the obvious shortcoming of not
21 supporting more recent GPUs in spite of upstream providing appropriate
22 libraries (I haven't tried packaging them because my AMD GPU is too old
23 to test them on), no real problems at the moment.
26 MS