From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] Some sync control
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 00:31:51
1 On Thu, Jan 18, 2007 at 12:09:30AM +0100, R?mi Cardona wrote:
2 > Because atomic commits don't exist in CVS, the scripts rely on
3 > commit/modification dates to recreate atomic commits in svn/git.
4 > Unfortunately, in some not-so-rare cases, it can definitely mess things
5 > up, and Gnome folks took about 6 months to get rid of these issues.
6 You should use dates AND usernames.
7
8 > Are those statements true for portage? Do they actually matter for us?
9 >
10 > *Conclusion* We'd need to try a migration of snapshots to see how much
11 > load it would be to migrate gentoo-x86 from CVS onto something else.
12 Could you please actually look at the rest of the links in this thread?
13 Antarus did exactly this for his Summer-of-Code work. The original plan
14 was testing migrations to SVN, GIT and Mercurial. I believe that
15 Mercurial flunked very early, and I do not know the details.
18 Robin Hugh Johnson
19 Gentoo Linux Developer
20 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
21 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85