From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] usr merge
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2016 12:55:54
1 On Fri, Apr 8, 2016 at 7:54 AM, Anthony G. Basile <blueness@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > As I'm getting into this thread, I'm looking at debian, fedora and I'll
4 > add openSUSE. I just don't get why a usr merge is as good as that
5 > fedora page says.
8 Keep in mind Fedora's purposes here:
9 1. It is a feeder where experimental technologies are previewed/developed.
10 2. It is feeding into RHEL, which is targeted at
11 infrequently-updating users who run in a release-based atmosphere.
12
13 The purpose of a /usr merge is to get all the stateless stuff into one place.
14
15 Some of the ultimate goals include:
16 1. A read-only /usr
17 2. Having /usr signature-verified at boot
18 3. Having everything that runs signature-checked before it is run
19 4. Having /usr shared across many containers/etc.
20 5. Stateless systems - boot with a /usr and it creates the rest
21 dynamically, and they're lost when the container is shut down.
22
23 Any of these COULD be implemented on Gentoo, though whether it will
24 happen is questionable. Some of these like #5 would require more
25 invasive changes to how we do things. However, the principle of
26 having everything that is static in one place does make sense.
27
28 Put it this way, if you were designing a new OS from scratch today,
29 would it make more sense to put all the distro-supplied
30 binaries/libraries under a single path off the root, or off of many
31 paths from the root? The main driver for having a split /usr is
32 legacy, IMO. Apparently even the unix authors said that they
33 originally did it only because of the size of one of their disks and
34 they wanted root to be a secondary bootloader.
37 Rich