From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: Christoph Junghans <ottxor@g.o>, Chromium Herd <chromium@g.o>, kde@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Usage of dev-utils/ninja in ebuilds
Date: Sat, 25 May 2013 18:48:40
1 For those unaware, dev-util/ninja is a make-replacement created by one
2 of the Chromium guys at Google. Its focus is on making incremental
3 builds of large software faster.
4
5 In the latest chromium ebuild (chromium-29.0.1516.3), we are using ninja
6 instead of make. ninja auto-detects the number of jobs to run by
7 default; in the chromium ebuild, we override this by passing -j
8 $(makeopts_jobs) instead.
9
10 Another place ninja is used cmake-utils.eclass, where it may be used
11 optionally in place of make depending on the CMAKE_MAKEFILE_GENERATOR
12 variable. The ninja_src_make function in cmake-utils.eclass calls ninja
13 with ${MAKEOPTS} or not depending on the value of CMAKE_VERBOSE. This is
14 a bit inconsistent and could cause problems because ninja only accepts a
15 limited subset of GNU make's command line options.
16
17 I'm wondering if we should create a more global function for calling
18 ninja in a consistent way. Maybe we should introduce a NINJAOPTS
19 variable for users to set in make.conf. Should we create a new eclass
20 for this, or just stick it in eutils?
21
22 Thoughts?