From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Making backwards-incompatible tree changes | a solution for GLEP 55's problem
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 15:20:55
On 09/19/2011 03:14 PM, Alex Alexander wrote:
> My idea is simple. When incompatible changes have to be introduced to the > tree, push a new version of portage that includes support for all the new > features we want to provide. > > Then, freeze the tree and clone it into a revbumped rsync module, i.e. > > SYNC="rsync://rsync.europe.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage-r1"
It's a waste to provide the old copies via rsync. A similar alternative that would solve that is to have a file in the tree that maps older EAPIs to snapshots. That way, after a person syncs and finds that the tree's EAPI is not supported, their package manager can easily locate and download a tree snapshot (from any gentoo mirror) which is supported by the current package manager. -- Thanks, Zac