From: Ben Kohler <bkohler@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposal: removing "server" profile variants from profiles.desc
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2012 22:32:01
1 There are other ways to achieve a "lighter" system, but that's not really
2 what this is about. The server profiles are not any lighter than the base
3 profiles.
4
5 To those in favor of keeping some kind of "server" profile around, how
6 would it differ from the base profile? What would you enable or disable on
7 top of the base? I am pretty sure that the current USE="-perl -python snmp
8 truetype xml" is not what any of you would suggest.
9
10 In my opinion, removing /usr/portage/profiles/targets/server/make.defaults
11 and having the "server" target apply nothing over the base profiles, and
12 then dropping the warning from the server profiles, would be a better
13 situation than where we are now.
14
15 -Ben