From: Antoni Grzymala <awaria@××××××××××.pl>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Building custom package for multi-arch/system
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 10:07:22
1 Max Arnold dixit (2010-01-29, 12:24):
2
3 > On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 04:17:41PM +0100, Beber wrote:
4 > > So, do you guys plan to implement a such thing ? That's one of the
5 > > features that is mostly missing imho. The principal miss in on
6 > > client side as I have tools to manage packages but would like to not
7 > > have too much specific scripts on client side.
8 >
9 > I like the way it done in OpenEmbedded. You have the tree of recipes
10 > (think of portage tree) and bunch of targets. For each target BitBake
11 > can generate binary release and package feed. Client package
12 > management is lightweight and does not require BitBake, recipes tree
13 > and even python. At least this is my lame interpretation of how it
14 > works :)
15 >
16 > Maybe this "metadistribution" approach is cleaner than binary package
17 > support in emerge. If user wants to compile packages on the client, he
18 > uses portage. If not - he can setup build server for multiple targets
19 > and completely drop portage from client machines. The only thing
20 > client should know is feed url with full list of binary packages. And
21 > I do not think client should deal with USE flags - for large
22 > installations unification is the only sane way to scale.
23
24 I think something similar is very nicely done on R-Path based
25 distributions (with "flavours" [1]). Conary itself also seems to be a
26 pretty well thought out package manager.
27
28 [1] http://docs.rpath.com/conary/Conaryopedia/sect-flavors.html
31 [a]