From: Thomas Deutschmann <whissi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: switching default udev provider for new systems to udev
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2020 11:52:44
1 On 2020-08-09 23:14, William Hubbs wrote:
2 > Here is something else to consider.
3 >
4 > Blueness and any of the other eudev maintainers are doing good work
5 > for alternative c library support such as musl. In fact, the musl
6 > profiles hard mask sys-fs/udev, so they are covered no matter what
7 > happens as a result of this thread.
8 >
9 > Eudev is supposed to be udev without systemd along with alternative c
10 > library support, but it appears to be behind what eudev offers.
11 >
12 > The following commit appears to be the last time eudev synced with udev:
13 >
14 > https://github.com/gentoo/eudev/commit/2ab887ec67afd15eb9b0849467f1f9c036a2b6c8
15 >
16 > There are roughly 100 commits in the udev master branch since the date of this
17 > sync:
18 >
19 > https://github.com/systemd/systemd/commits/master/src/udev
20 >
21 > There are several new commits in libudev and udev rules since then as
22 > well:
23 >
24 > https://github.com/systemd/systemd/commits/master/src/libudev
25 > https://github.com/systemd/systemd/commits/master/rules.d
26 >
27 > I would like to publically thank Leio for providing me with the
28 > information above.
29 >
30 > I asked the council for guidance and was told that they don't need to be
31 > involved, so I guess the best thing to do now is call for testers.
32 >
33 > It would be helpful if people migrate their systems manually from eudev to udev
34 > and report issues.
35 >
36 > I'm not a valid test case because I have always run udev.
37
38 This is not answering my questions.
39
40 If anything from above would be valid (like others have asked you for
41 bugs and already mentioned that commit count alone don't say anything)
42 we wouldn't just be talking about switching default for *new*
43 installations. Instead we would need to talk about ditching eudev in
44 general...
45
46 So for me it still looks like change for change's sake without a real
47 reason.
51 Regards,
52 Thomas Deutschmann / Gentoo Linux Developer
53 C4DD 695F A713 8F24 2AA1 5638 5849 7EE5 1D5D 74A5