From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Java 9 on Gentoo
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2017 04:42:06
1 On Thu, 16 Nov 2017 21:42:59 -0600
2 Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o> wrote:
3 >
4 > You seem to know a bit about this, has there been a bug made outlining
5 > the troubles we will encounter as you know them?
6
7 No, I feel I am already doing more than I should to help given my past
8 treatment. I have been making most issues with potential resolutions
9 know in #gentoo-java for the past ~48 hours. I have been spending
10 most time fixing stuff in my overlay. As I have been for over a year.
11 https://github.com/Obsidian-StudiosInc/os-xtoo
12
13 > It's nice to have a warning, but sounding alarmist without concrete
14 > help doesn't actually help all that much.
15
16 People have been asking in #gentoo-java about Java 9. I was simply
17 letting everyone know it would be some time before that is likely to be
18 the case. That alone was a courtesy to others.
19
20 It does not take much to find out there are considerable issues with
21 Java 9 from most any web search. For anyone who cares, most do not.
22 Thus the present state of Java on Gentoo. Which I have brought up many
23 times over the past years. A new major version taking some time should
24 not be of surprise to anyone given that fact.
25
26 If you recall I got banned from Github over commenting on Java 9 early
27 access PR. I have also commented on another since.
28 https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo/pull/1721
29 https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo/pull/6033
30
31 You can see the history of jdk 9 I put in my overlay almost a year ago.
32 That could have been in Gentoo. I maintained EA builds till release...
33 Dec 5, 2016
34 https://github.com/Obsidian-StudiosInc/os-xtoo/commit/f90d8b21c39dbe8684e0951b845c43fae2ba6cfc#diff-0ecef02a46ed32d29b482614d71d229f
35 https://github.com/Obsidian-StudiosInc/os-xtoo/commits/master/dev-java/oracle-jdk-bin
36
37 I have done all I can. This is the visible result of blocking people,
38 with no one else wiling to do the work. I am playing catch up now.
41 William L. Thomson Jr.