From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Keyword request interface (SoC candidate?)
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 02:49:44
1 Santiago M. Mola wrote:
2 >
3 > I've been talking about it with some users and everyone agrees that
4 > they would like to have such an interface...
5 >
6 > What do you think about? Would it be easy to integrate it with
7 > packages.g.o or should it belong somewhere else? Do you think this is
8 > a suitable project for SoC?
9
10 I like the idea, although it is a bit redundant with bugzilla. One
11 thing that would be nice is better workflow management. Right now it
12 would be nice as an arch dev to be able to get a list of all stable
13 requests that have been checked by an arch tester on my arch - that
14 isn't simple now. We used to keyword bugs STABLE or TESTED but I don't
15 think that anybody is doing that any more - and it breaks down when you
16 have 7 archs CC'ed on a bug anyway (which one is tested?).
17
18 The fundamental issue, though, is that keywording obscure packages is
19 not trivial. I cringe when I see a stable request for some dialup
20 networking package - I doubt many devs even own modems these days.
21
22 A tool like the one proposed could even raise questions about how more
23 obscure packages should be maintained. Maybe all interested users could
24 subscribe to a package and then vote on when they will go stable. If
25 66% of users interested in a package vote that a package is stable then
26 a dev would have discretion to just keyword it without any testing at
27 all (obviously this would not be done with critical packages, but the
28 world isn't going to end if autopano-sift breaks down on some edge
29 case). It also gets users more involved in the QA process and is a
30 little less "cathedral" like...
31 --
32 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list