From: Gordon Malm <gengor@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [PMS] Add RESTRICT="distcc" capability
Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2008 21:58:41
1 On Saturday, November 1, 2008 14:28:06 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Sat, 1 Nov 2008 14:21:43 -0700
3 >
4 > Gordon Malm <gengor@g.o> wrote:
5 > > If you're compiling an out-of-tree module that requires the kernel be
6 > > compiled with support for a particular item and the distccd host's
7 > > kernel does not have that support compiles fail. Reference bug
8 > > #120001 (though I know that it was properly diagnosed there).
9 > >
10 > > Then there's also this doozie. -> #167844.
11 >
12 > So far as I can see, when the correct options are passed to a build
13 > system, the only issue is hardened being broken. There doesn't seem to
14 > be any fundamental reason why distcc with a sane compiler can't be used
15 > with kernel modules. If this is the case, wouldn't it be better to get
16 > the hardened compiler fixed?
17
18 I use madwifi-ng extensively and have experienced the same issue with
19 madwifi-ng as stated in that bug. For bug #167844, please read comment #13
20 and http://code.google.com/p/distcc/issues/detail?id=25. There's nothing to
21 fix, hardened is doing the right thing as is distcc. The proper approach is
22 to not distribute compiles of kernel modules.
23
24 To not get too stuck on a single scenario, I think this would be a useful
25 feature and desireable vs. the alternative of FEATURES=${FEATURES/distcc/}.
26
27 This is not the first time its been requested, a simple search reveals bugs
28 #28300, #80894.
29
30 A quick grep shows these packages at minimum have to do some FEATURES checking
31 and either pass a config option (if provided) or die "disable distcc and try
32 again".
33 dev-python/pyqwt
34 media-gfx/sam2p
35 media-tv/mythtv